
The rangers were very helpful to answer all of my questions. In fact I visited with them long enough that they remembered me the next day. This is our own Jr. Ranger.
This is a piece of the ladder that was originally used to access the cave. I sure do love the modern world and all of our conveniences; including electricity and elevators in caves. The ladder is now protected and can not be taken out because of its historical value. The criteria being-- it is over 50 years old.
The caverns are enormous. There are miles and miles of trails. One of the rooms could fit 3 football fields in it. Note how small the people look compared to the stalagmite.
There are actually 5 levels of caves. You have to be a professional with a list of qualifications and permits to access the remote areas. I am okay with that (refer back to modern conveniences).
Lantern tours are available if you are feeling adventuresome; however, I reccomend bringing your own flashlight since lanterns do not project light well enough to see the walls of the cave. Warning: People accompanied by small children do not get the opportunity to feel adventuresome)
The cave maintains a constant temperature of 56 degrees year round.

It is said that the cave was discovered by a young boy who thought he saw smoke from a fire. As he got closer it became apparent that is was a huge bat colony leaving for the evening forage. He spent many years exploring the cave.
I did not take any pictures of the bat flight. They are not allowed and would not have turned out anyway since it was dusk. I do have some Mexican Freetailed bat trivia for you though.a) an adult bat weighs 1/2 ounce
b) a baby bat is called a pup
c) 300 bats can fit in a 12"x12" square
d) bat droppings are called guano
e) guano is an excellent fertilizer
1 comment:
This was one of my favorites. I am really glad we didt't have to use those ladders to explore.
Post a Comment