Sunday, October 31, 2010

Travertine Falls

I am still plugging away at the hiking efforts. This is my favorite hike that I have been on so far so I decided to take Dave's mom here. Not to mention it is the only one that I thought I could find again. I was wrong. I got lost and had to call my hiking buddy for directions. Fortunately she was back in town and that there is cell phone service in the mountains here.

The pictures do not do it justice-sorry about that-but it really is pretty. There is just not much color. It is a dessert after all.

They are travertine waterfalls (or cascades as Alan would correct me). You can smell the minerals. When I went to the Natural History Museum with my mom I learned all about travertine. There is a rock quarry where they mine it south of Albuquerque.

It was a nice peaceful hike with out a lot of traffic. We packed sandwiches and had a picnic while we were there.

The water cascades for quite a while and then just disappears.


No comments: