New Mexico is suffering from a drought. It has been such a dry, hot summer that much of the outdoors was closed down either because it was on fire or the state was hoping to prevent fires. Finally near the end of July there was enough consecutive days of rain some of the forests opened back up. Dave and I took a Sunday afternoon drive to check out some of the damage. We were surprised at how much land was still closed.
It took several weeks to get the fires out. The trees with all of their pine needles and pine cones are just ready tinder for any little spark. It is amazing to see what burns and what doesn't burn. I could still smell the stench from the smoke in the air. I could see the fire break lines that they put in. It was fascinating to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment